That Tuesday has been on my mind for weeks now. It has been 10 years since Mom yelled at us to get out of bed and come look at what was happening. I didn't immediately realize what was going on but as the tears ran down Moms face, as the minutes then hours unfolded I started to see; Thousands of people had been murdered in such a small amount of time and it wasn't an accident. All day at school, the TVs were on in my classrooms and we watched as the casualty numbers climbed. The entire school stood on the center lawn as we had a moment of silence. I was in seventh grade. 12 years old. During the time we stood together, everyone was reverent. The nerds, the smarties, the tough kids, even the lunch ladies. All of our differences were non existent. That day affected every single person in this country and so many across the world. Even people 3,000 miles away in a little town in Northern California felt it. I didn't know anyone personally who died that day but someones dad, sister, uncle, or mom did.
Every year, I have remembered. I have done something. From wearing home painted clothes to remind those around me what they should remember to taking a moment to read someones story of that day, I have always remembered September 11. I hope no one ever forgets.
As I sit, struggling to type as I cry, I think of what I will do this year. I have watched the documentaries of the children who lost parents, the heroes on the highest floors and the tributes that are being made. I hope to have discussions of the constitution and the wonderful freedoms we have in this country. Don't ever take any of them for granted.
Take a moment to watch this video as you decide what you will do to commemorate what happened 10 years ago.
Click here to see the beautiful 10 year memorial at Ground Zero.
Ground Zero will always be a reverent place. I visited in May 2006.

Looking from the Empire State Building toward lower Manhattan where the towers stood.

And I love Celine Dion's version of this song. With the pictures, its even more moving.
God Blesses America.
2 comments:
Naomi today I was at the gym and I almost started crying when they were showing footage from the towers getting hit on the Today show. Choking up AT THE GYM. Seriously. Love your post though; such a sad thing but so important to remember!
oh for some reason it's showing unknown but this is Katie
Post a Comment