Mothers Day and Jacks birthday. Every few years Jack and I will have to share this day. Last year, Jack gave me the best Mother's Day present he could give- himself, coming the day before Mother's Day.
I feel overwhelmed as I reflect on the past year. So much has changed. But the thing I love the most is learning to stay at home and be a full time mom.
How can a full grown woman learn so much from such a small baby? He taught me how to love unconditionally, how to function on little to no sleep, how to reign in my frustrations, and how to enjoy the little things I would normally overlook. Like the little bead on the floor. Goes straight in his mouth.
It's true what people say. Motherhood pushes you to wits end. Sometimes, I literally want to throw something at the wall. But I have been blessed with the gift of select memory loss. I remember the sweet things and tend to block out the tantrums, screaming, food throwing and waking up in the middle of the night. This "gift" is truly a blessing!
Miriam took these photos of us yesterday at Jacks birthday party. We don't have good family photos like this of us. The tears flowed as I looked at my little family. It's not the cute random family I see in the ads. This is MY family. There is so much love. My mom asked me to write what it means to be a mother. To me, it's watching Jack grow into a toddler and along the way help him learn the hard knocks of life. Discover texture. Discover discomfort. Discover happiness. Discover the world. I feel like I'm discovering it with him. Being a mother is discovering the world in a whole new way. A more beautiful way.
And Happy Birthday Jack. I can't believe it's been a year. Best year of my life.
I Do Now
6 days ago





2 comments:
Thanks for posting this Naomi.
I literally DO throw things at the wall. I love the lines about discovering. I'm pretty we discover a lot more about life than they do. That's why we are mothers. What a gift! Thanks for your words.
Post a Comment