But today something was different. Jack said, "baby Owen" for the first time today and kept saying it. He brought toys to Owen to play with. Jack gave him a ring, watched him play with it and when he dropped it, picked it up and put it back into Owens wobbly, uncoordinated hand. I had laid Owen on the bed and was stroking his back when Jack came in and hopped up right next to his brother. They giggled at each other when Jack jumped on and off the bed. I left and peeked in 5 minutes later- they were still giggling at each other. Later, I laid Owen on a blanket on the floor and Jack laid next to him, smiled and said, "Owen!" Over and over!
The biggest thing that ssurprised me today was when Jack offered his blankie to Owen. His blankie. That he takes everywhere. That he cries when anyone else touches it. That he's chewed the corners to shreds. This blankie, the thing he loves most in the world, he gave to Owen. It was so sweet I actually started to well up some tears! Granted, he took it back after what looked like a very nervous 10 seconds. But he offered it to his brother. Totally the sweetest.
I can already see them pushing each other in go carts down the street, fighting over toys, sleeping in the same bed, going everywhere together and getting into the toothpaste or food storage peanut butter, wheat and macaroni(if you know my childhood stories, you'll get that reference).
Siblings are the best.
(written November 1 2014)
No comments:
Post a Comment