Saturday, July 30, 2011

Eureka






Our Eureka visit so far has been wonderful. We made it out here on a one day drive and by the time we made it to the redwoods, it was dark. As we weaved through Richardsens Grove and the trees flashed past in the darkness, Brennan, wide-eyed in the passenger seat exclaimed, “whoa…. Oh man!.... dang! Did you see that!?!” The big beautiful trees are always an amazing sight, even if you grew up in their shade.

The ocean water beneath my feet is so comforting. It will always be here for me, no matter how long I am away. The sand will always sneak between my toes, into my pockets and into the car. We are watching too many movies. Too much ice cream. I dont regret any of it. I love being home.

I sat in my room getting ready for bed when I heard Isaac singing Blackbird for Mom. He played in on the electric guitar he made at school last year. The guitar was not very loud but Isaacs voice was clear even as he is still learning what his range is. Isaac can play and sing Blackbird. That’s a landmark. I showed Isaac how to play the first part last time I was here in April. He didn’t catch on too fast and I thought it was a little over his head. When I asked Isaac yesterday how he learned it he said he learned the first part from me and figured out the rest by watching dad play it and listening. I learned how to play Blackbird by watching Rachel teach Miriam how to play it and sneaking in afterwards and remembering what I saw and heard. Isaac did the same thing. Love it.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I absolutely love this post, it brought little tears to my eyes thinking about home and how special it is to be there. I am so glad you got to go and I am soooo excited to see you when you get back. Xoxo